‘I Wish I Never Sent Them To School’: Oyo farmer laments abduction of four children, daughter-in-law, infant grandchild

A distraught farmer, Mr. Micheal Ojo, whose four children, daughter-in-law and grandchild were abducted during the recent attacks on schools in Oyo State, has narrated to SaharaReporters how heavily armed terrorists invaded two communities, opened fire on residents and marched dozens of pupils into the forest reserve.

Ojo spoke exclusively to SaharaReporters on Tuesday during a visit to the affected community, where fear and tension still hang heavily over residents following the coordinated abductions.

The elderly man, visibly shaken by the incident, said he regretted allowing the children to attend school on the day of the attack after they initially pleaded with him to stay home.

“On Friday morning, my children said they did not want to go to school, but I told them they should go since they would close by 1pm. I wish I never told them to go,” he said sorrowfully.

According to him, six members of his family are currently being held by the kidnappers.

“I have four children in that school. My son’s wife is also among them, and she was carrying a baby on her back when they were kidnapped,” he said.

The woman was seen in a viral video released after the attack, desperately pleading while carrying the infant.

Ojo explained that all four children, his daughter-in-law and the baby were taken away by the gunmen into the forest.

“At exactly 9am, I was inside my house trying to sleep because I’m a farmer and there is not much work on the farm presently,” he recounted.

“There is a nursery school in our community, Yawota, where people from neighbouring communities like Alahusa and Onyaa also attend.

“When I could not sleep again, I opened my window and saw strange men moving around. I did not know they had already attacked Esiele community before coming here.”

He explained that the attackers had first stormed Esiele community, located about four kilometres away, where they targeted both primary and secondary schools before moving into Yawota.

“There is a primary and secondary school in Esiele. The kidnappers divided themselves into two groups and already planned where they would meet after the operation because after Esiele there is no other community except the forest reserve,” he said.

Ojo said security operatives had reportedly traced the kidnappers’ location but were proceeding cautiously to avoid putting the abducted children in danger.

“The soldiers have already located where they are keeping them, but they do not want to harm the children, which is why they are being careful,” he said.

The farmer added that fear has forced many residents to abandon the communities entirely.

“As you can see, almost everybody has fled for their lives. Most houses are locked because people have run away,” he said.

“But where can I run to? I have nowhere else to go. My children were here before they were kidnapped, and after this incident, I am still hoping they will return to me very soon.”

Related Articles

Stay Connected.

1,169,000FansLike
34,567FollowersFollow
1,401,000FollowersFollow
0SubscribersSubscribe
- Advertisement -

Latest Articles